Strict Tenant selection
We have a reputation in Peterborough for being very choosy about who we rent a property to. Tenant selection criteria is perhaps the most crucial part of residential property management and the lack of care and attention in this area is what creates so much bad press about the industry. Letting a property to the "wrong" Tenant is easy! Getting the Tenant selection right takes judgement and experience. Our basis criteria is listed below:
- Anyone under the age of 25 may require a contract guarantor.
- All prospective Tenants have to register their full details before we arrange a viewing.
- We interview all applicants and applications are approved by a senior partner.
- You are part of the decision making process.
- For local applicants the most important part of our referencing is to visit the current home of the applicant to assess their suitability as a Tenant.
- We do not use external referencing agencies who do not have an opportunity to judge the character of the applicant. We prefer to use our experience in assessing Tenants which now spans four decades.
- We insist on examining bank statements. A work reference confirming salary is not conclusive if an applicant has considerable ongoing expense (such as ex-marital maintenance payments, credit agreements etc.).
- All Tenants are fully credit-checked and full references are taken.
- We do not want people smoking in our properties!
- A good Tenant will help us to improve our reputation and encourage our current landlords to continue to recommend us. This is what has allowed us to become the largest letting agent in Peterborough.
- From a purely selfish business point of view: Imagine if we allowed one in ten "bad" Tenants through our vetting process. Statistically that would mean that we have to deal with close to a hundred problem tenancies. Although we are experienced and know how to deal with problems, this level of work would be a disaster for our business.