Pest Infestation

Sometimes disrepair in your home can lead to problems with pests and vermin

Infestation is not in itself disrepair, so it's not always clear if your landlord is responsible for dealing with it.

This page considers in what circumstances your landlord may be responsible, whether the local authority can help, and what you can do if you need help dealing with the problem yourself.

There's no legal definition of pests and vermin, but they're generally thought to include rats, mice, cockroaches, ants, fleas, mites and bedbugs.

Working out who's responsible for dealing with an infestation depends on several things, including:

This is because your landlord has a duty to ensure that your home is fit to be lived in on the day they let it to you. An infestation could mean that your landlord has not met this duty, but this only applies at the start of a tenancy and wouldn't apply if a problem developed later on.

If the problem with pests or vermin was there when you moved in, it's likely that your landlord is responsible for dealing with it so you should contact us. Use our general enquiry form - click here. We will then contact the Landlord and advise him/her of the necessary action required to resolve your pest problem.

If there's disrepair in your home that's either causing a problem with pests and vermin or is making a problem worse, it's likely that your landlord is responsible for dealing with it as part of the repair work.

For example, if there are holes in the walls and floors which are allowing rodents to get in, then your landlord would be responsible. This is because there's a term implied into tenancy agreements which says that a landlord is responsible for keeping certain things in repair, including the structure and exterior of your home.