Noisy/Nuisance Neighbours

There is nothing more unsettling than having noisy or nuisance neighbours and if this happens to you we sympathise with you.

This is by far the most common anti-social behaviour reported to the Police, Local Authorities, Housing Associations and letting agents. Noise issues are a Local Authority matter (specifically the Environmental Health department) but if not dealt with quickly, they can escalate and become a police matter.

We live in community but these days we often do not know our neighbours and rarely see them. This means it is much harder to talk to our neighbours about any noise they might be making that we consider unreasonable.

The main issues are time and volume, ie.

If your neighbour is making a noise that is causing you distress we would strongly recommend you DO NOT RETALIATE.

If you get into a 'tit-for-tat' situation (e.g. They play loud music at 2AM, so the next night you vacuum at 5AM, so then the next day they start banging on the walls, etc.) it can quickly get out of control. Crucially you are no longer the innocent victim and therefore will find it much harder to get effective assistance from the authorities and a resolution to the problem.

Our advice is that when a problem with a neighbour starts, you should take note (using some form of diary sheet) of the date and time of the noise with a description of what the noise is, how long it lasts and how it made you feel. This will help build up evidence for your case.

Given that neighbour disputes are by their nature one person's word against another, it is also highly likely that you will need an independent witness to confirm that the noise is happening and that it is unreasonable.

If you know that the property causing you a problem is rented and you know which letting agent is renting it then we suggest that you contact them in the first instance.

If you would like to contact us about your problem then feel free to fill in out general enquiry form (click below) and we will try to help you as best we can. Below is a link to the web-site to report anti-social behaviour.